COMING FROM A1 MOTORWAY: (MILAN-FLORENCE-ROME) EXIT VALDICHIANA
1. Coming from A1 (Autostrade) motorway: north or south (Milan-Florence-Rome) exit Uscita Valdichiana which is approximately 15 miles west of the northern shore of Lake Trasimeno. This is the main exit for Cortona, Siena & Perugia.
2. Turn right after the toll booths, in the direction of Perugia and Cortona. After 500 yards, bear right again at the small sign to Perugia. You will be on the Siena-Perugia Highway heading west.
3. After 19,8 km (approx. 12 miles) and four exits, exit at Castiglion del Lago and turn right towards Terontola-Cortona.
4. Drive through the town of Terontola, then Riccio (a small village), and take the first road on the right towards Ossaia. Drive through Ossaia and after 2 km (1.2 miles) you will reach a stop sign (you will have a stone wall in front of you), turn right on SP 416 (Provincial road) towards Mercatale and Sant Angelo. .
5. After about 400 meters (1/4 mile) you will pass a small market on your right (good place to stop if you need to pick up a few things) with an open field & vineyard on your left. After another 150 meters, take a left towards the church of St. Michele Arcangelo. There is a blue sign Sant Angelo and a small grey sign with the name of the church which is about 200 meters from the provincial road. With the ancient church on your right, proceed about 50 meters and at the stop sign with a dark grey gate in front of you, turn to your left (90° turn) and follow the sign for Teccognano.
6. Keeping the stone wall on your right, drive over the hump back bridge and turn immediately right over the second bridge with the sign to Teccognano.
7. Take this small winding road for 2 km (1.2 miles). You will pass several villas. Be sure and toot your horn at the blind corners. If there is oncoming traffic, they will pull to the side for you to pass or vice versa. On the first rise uphill you will see an arrow and a white sign indicating “Villa Ugo” on your right. Turn in and ask for Ugo Sabatini.
IF YOU ARRIVE FROM OTHER DIRECTION:
1. Find Cortona-Camucia state road n° 71.
2. When you are at the traffic light in the town centre of Camucia ( Camucia is the little town at the foot of Cortona) follow signs for Mercatale.
3. After 2 km turn on right towards Mercatale (don’t turn up the hill to Cortona) and after other 2 km turn on left for the church of St Michele Arcangelo. Follow the instruction from number 5 above.
GPS Coordinates to reach Villa Ugo are 43.277011, 12.010362